What are the 283 infringements of Microsoft patents by the Linux kernel
In August of 2004, insurance firm Open Source Risk Management (OSRM) published a study that found Linux to be in violation of 283 issues, still not yet court-validated, software patents in the Linux kernel. At the time, OSRM identified 27 of the 283 patents as related to Microsoft. Some of these patent violations relate to Samba, to address this issue Apple wrote new connectivity protocols implemented in Lion OS 10.7.x. This has caused Apple connectivity issues with legacy equipment, possibly impacting on current sales of Apple hardware and software.
The current market in 201x is very strange, Microsoft are investing in Linux on one hand and releasing code to the open source community. In fact Microsoft are one biggest supporters of open source, but they are attacking Android. Is this because of Google gaining market share?
How much code / functionality has Microsoft adapted from other sources over the years?, will these patent issues damage future development? Many years ago the SCO patent wars damaged Unix destroying companies in the process, leaving waves within the growing Linux market for years. This actually helped Microsoft gain momentum and acceptance with its server products
Android has pushed Linux into the market place again pulling it out of the shadows, in times of recession an OS which is free and stable is great for everyone. Future development and implementation will be damaged for many years to come after with the opening of the patent wars between the biggest players in the market. Will this be another SCO? What are the 283 infringements of Microsoft patents by the Linux kernel?
- Patents Roundup: Microsoft’s New Patent Deal, Apple Lawsuits, Lodsys, US Backlash Against Software Patents, and More (techrights.org)
- Linux Foundation to Microsoft: stop secretly attacking Linux | Arstechnica x GSG (gonzalosangil.wordpress.com)
- Microsoft contributes open-source code to Samba (zdnet.com)
- How Microsoft Learned to Stop Worrying and (Almost) Love Open Source (wired.com)
- Never Before Seen: IBM Marries Mainframes and Windows (ostatic.com)
- Yet Another Misinformed Swipe At Open Source and Linux (ostatic.com)
- The UK and Open Source Love (arnoldit.com)
- Latest Analysis of Patent Assault on Linux (techrights.org)
- Google’s Patent Counsel On the Broken Patent System [OStatic] (ostatic.com)
- Microsoft Wants to Dance With Samba (techrights.org)
- Microsoft Finally Contributed Code to Samba Open Source Interop Project (readwriteweb.com)
- White House Responds to Software Patent Petition (linearfix.wordpress.com)
- Google: Microsoft patent wars are due to lack of Windows Phone success (winrumors.com)
- Google attorney: When Microsoft’s products stop succeeding, it turns to patents (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Microsoft Extorts Linux Again, Its Troll Intellectual Ventures Suggested for Antitrust Intervention (techrights.org)
- Spotify Sued For Patent Infringement (yro.slashdot.org)
- Google lawyer: Microsoft patent hype is because WP7 is failing (slashgear.com)